LIBERTY, January 7, 2015 - Bicyclists have the same rights and responsibilities as drivers. As a bicyclist, you should obey all traffic laws, including the following:
- Stop at red lights and stop signs
- Pay attention to lane markers
- Ride near the curb, traveling in the same direction as traffic
- Use a light on the front and a red reflector or red light on the back of your bike while riding at night
Remember to use proper signals when you want to stop or turn. For a left turn, stretch your left arm to the left; for a right turn, stretch your right arm to the right. For a stop, hold your left arm downward.
Tips for Bicyclists
- Wear a properly fitted helmet to reduce the chances of head injury and death. (Some cities and counties require cyclists to wear helmets. Contact local law enforcement for more information.)
- Always check brakes and tires before riding.
- Make it easier for drivers to see you by wearing light colors or reflective clothing.
Tips for Drivers
- Be on the lookout for cyclists on the highway, especially at intersections.
- If you're passing a bicyclist, move to another lane if possible and give them plenty of room.
- Watch for riders who may need to maneuver around potholes and debris.