Put the Chill on High Summer Bills
BEAUMONT, June 25, 2014 – Although summer ushers in another round of extreme temperatures, customers don’t have to sweat their bills. Small habitual changes can help consumers reduce heavy usage and lower costs.
“Maintaining a comfortable climate in your home, often requires additional energy during the summer and winter months,” said Vernon Pierce, vice president, customer Service for Entergy Texas, Inc. “We learned during this past volatile winter that being prepared is the key to reducing consumption without sacrificing comfort.”
Entergy encourages customers to use these effective methods to save money while staying cool:
· Set your thermostat to 78 degrees or the highest comfortable temperature. Each degree cooler than 78, will increase your bill as much as three percent.
· Circulate the cool air in your home with ceiling, oscillating or box fans. The average ceiling fan makes a room feel 7 degrees cooler.
· Use kitchen and bathroom exhaust fans to remove excess heat and humidity caused by cooking, laundering and bathing. High humidity makes our bodies hold more heat.
· Avoid using the stove if possible and consider grilling outside instead.
· Make plans to use dishwashers, washing machines and dryers –which add heat and moisture to your home--during the coolest part of the day.
· Don't block air vents with curtains, shades or furniture.
· Turn off unnecessary lights during hot weather and consider switching to cooler, energy-efficient fluorescent bulbs where light is needed.
Additional Save Me Money Do-it-Yourself videos are available at http://www.entergysavings.com. The interactive tutorials provide vital home weatherization techniques, such as installing programmable thermostats, caulking windows and doors, changing air filters and installing insulation to name a few.
Entergy Texas also offers a variety of money-saving opportunities under its Entergy Solutions energy efficiency programs. Those interested in learning ways to make their homes more comfortable and energy efficiency may access videos, tips and a wealth of other information at entergytexas.com/savemoney.
Give us your Feedback about this story!