Automobile Manufacturing Shipments and Employment Up
WASHINGTON, September 2, 2014 - The total value of shipments for the automobile manufacturing industry (NAICS 336111) was $108.8 billion in 2012, up 28.4 percent from $84.7 billion in 2007, according to the latest 2012 Economic Census statistics released today by the U.S. Census Bureau. The number of employees increased 5.6 percent, from 65,436 in 2007 to 69,078 in 2012.
While shipments and employment increased, the number of establishments decreased from 188 in 2007 to 180 in 2012. The average payroll per employee decreased 6.5 percent, from $78,092 in 2007 to $73,053 in 2012.
Total value of shipments for the light truck and utility vehicle manufacturing industry (NAICS 336112) decreased 20.7 percent, from $154.0 billion in 2007 to $122.2 billion in 2012. For this industry, other highlights include:
- The number of establishments decreased from 90 in 2007 to 77 in 2012.
- The number of employees decreased 31.3 percent, from 84,806 in 2007 to 58,241 in 2012.
- The average payroll per employee decreased 3.8 percent, from $81,262 in 2007 to $78,194 in 2012.
The total value of shipments for the heavy duty truck manufacturing industry (NAICS 336120) increased 51.9 percent, from $19.4 billion in 2007 to $29.5 billion in 2012. For this industry, other highlights include:
- The number of establishments decreased from 101 in 2007 to 82 in 2012.
- The number of employees increased 3.7 percent, from 29,120 in 2007 to 30,190 in 2012.
- The average payroll per employee increased 15.3 percent, from $46,498 in 2007 to $53,630 in 2012.
- Of the total value of product shipments for this industry, trucks weighing between 14,001 pounds and 33,000 pounds made up 13.0 percent; trucks weighing 33,001 pounds or more made up 67.5 percent; and buses, including military and firefighting vehicles, made up 18.2 percent.
The statistics published in this report represent motor vehicles that were manufactured by establishments in the U.S. and were shipped domestically or exported. Information on motor vehicle exports are available from the Census Bureau's foreign trade data. The statistics released today represent only the manufacturing of vehicles, not sales. Later this month, 2012 Economic Census statistics on the nation's motor vehicle dealers will be released.