May I Produce Spirits for My Personal or Family Use?

WASHINGTON, October 12, 2012 - Today the Alcohol and Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau in Washington, D.C. answered the question that my be on the minds of individuals, "MAY I PRODUCE SPIRITS FOR MY PERSONAL OR FAMILY USE?"

The short answer? Not without receiving prior approval from TTB and paying federal excise tax.

Unlike wine and beer, federal law does not permit the production of distilled spirits for personal or family use. In order to produce distilled spirits for beverage use or industrial purposes, you must first qualify with TTB as a distilled spirits plant under the requirements of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986, and under the Federal Alcohol Administration Act in the event you are producing or bottling distilled spirits for a beverage use. These requirements include:

  1. Paying special tax
  2. Filing an extensive application
  3. Filing a bond
  4. Providing adequate equipment to measure spirits
  5. Providing suitable tanks and pipelines
  6. Providing a separate building (other than a dwelling)
  7. Maintaining detailed records and filing reports 

All of the requirements are listed in 27 CFR Part 19. Significant civil sanctions and criminal penalties are imposed on the unlawful production of distilled spirits.

In addition, you should check with your state alcohol regulator to determine the applicable state law requirements. A federal qualification to produce distilled spirits does not exempt you from complying with state law requirements.


Share |


Find Local T.V. Listings

Enter your zip code: Reference tools for you Forms for your site



Copyright � All rights reserved

For questions, comments, advertising information or to send a press release