BEAUMONT December 5, 2019 - Thanksgiving is in the rear-view mirror, which means for many families, the décor for the rest of the year is all about holly, wreaths, trees and lights. At Entergy, we love the holidays, too, especially when spent making happy memories with our loved ones. With that in mind, we encourage our employees and customers to consider these holiday decoration safety tips:
- Christmas tree fires account for hundreds of fires annually. If you have a Christmas tree, be sure it’s in a container that holds water, and water it every day.
- If you put up lights outside your home, be sure the lights used are designated for outdoor use.
- Use a nonconducting fiberglass or wooden ladder when working with strings of lights and stay clear of all overhead wires.
- Do not replace bulbs when the electricity is on.
- Never let light bulbs touch flammable materials such as plastic or dry grass and leaves.
- For outside use, work only with three-wire grounded extension cords.
- Use rubber gaskets in light sockets or hang sockets downward to keep water out.
- Keep connections and lights off the ground by hanging them over wooden stakes.
- Turn outside holiday lights off when away from home or asleep.