THE WOODLANDS October 14, 2019 - , Texas – High electric bills can be frightening, but with a little care and attention, they don’t have to be. So, while you’re carving pumpkins and trying on costumes this Halloween season, use these simple tricks to slash your energy usage:
- Vanquish phantom load by turning off appliances and electronics that use power even when you’re not using them. These “vampires” sit in stand-by mode and suck energy that can add to the cost of your bill. Plug these devices into power strips and turn them off regularly with the push of a button.
- Banish sneaky phone chargers and power adapters by unplugging them and whatever they are charging when not needed.
- Trap escaping air from windows and doors by using caulking or weather-stripping leaky areas and closing chimney flues.
- Ward off witches by lowering the heat on that fiery cauldron (aka water heater).
- Scare away ghosts with LED bulbs, which last longer and use less energy than traditional bulbs.
- Guard against evil power surges from lightning or voltage spikes by using surge protectors on expensive electronics and appliances.
- Keep ghouls out of your yard with Entergy security lighting.
- Add a hedge of protection by installing new insulation in walls and attics.
- Engage the superheroes of energy efficiency with the Entergy Solutions program.
- Treat yourself to a new Energy Star-rated appliance.
Even though Halloween is near, there’s no need to fear! Use these tips to keep high electric bills from haunting you.