BEAUMONT, August 24, 2017 - As Tropical Storm Harvey churns toward the Texas coast, Entergy Texas, Inc., is monitoring the storm and preparing for the potential impact to Southeast Texas. Current forecasts predict that Harvey will develop into a hurricane before it makes landfall Friday on the Texas coast and stalls, bringing torrential rainfall and flooding to the region.
If forecasts hold, areas across Southeast Texas could get 10-15 inches of rain, with isolated areas receiving 20-plus inches of rain, according to the National Weather Service.
Entergy Texas crews are prepared to safely restore service to customers as quickly as possible when conditions permit. The potential for flooding exists, which could extend restoration times in affected areas.
“Most importantly, we encourage our customers to include safety in their preparations. Whether it’s spotting a downed wire or other potential hazard after the storm has cleared, be sure to make safety a key ingredient in your storm planning,” said Vernon Pierce, vice president of customer service for Entergy Texas.
Customer Safety Tips
· Entergy Texas reminds customers to remain safe and stay away from downed power lines and flooded areas. Do not walk in standing water and do not venture into areas of debris, since energized and dangerous power lines may not be visible.
· Customers who inhabit or own property in areas that could be threatened by flooding are encouraged to remove food from freezers and refrigerators and to take appropriate measures to protect belongings from potential water damage.
· Entergy Texas urges customers to prepare for the possibility of extended power outages. Customers should prepare emergency preparedness kits, including flashlights, a battery-powered radio with fresh batteries, spare batteries, canned food and a can opener, a supply of fresh water for several days and a first-aid kit.
· If customers have generators, they should read instructions and operate them according to guidelines for their safety and ours.
· Customers should use extreme caution when navigating boats in flooded areas around power lines to ensure the boats and their occupants do not come into contact with energized lines.
Stay Prepared and Informed
Just as important to the company as restoring power is the ability to keep customers informed. We do this in a number of ways:
· A free app is available for iPhone or Android at entergyapp.com. Customers can use the app to report outages or check on the status of power at their homes or businesses.
· Entergy’s View Outages website includes maps that show where outages are located and gives information about restoration progress.
· Customers can send and receive text messages about storm and restoration efforts. Signing up is easy: simply text REG to 368374.
· The Entergy Storm Center website has storm safety, preparation, restoration and other information that is regularly updated.
· Operation: Storm Ready is a free downloadable guide that helps customers plan and prepare for weather emergencies.
Social media plays an important role in keeping customers informed, and Entergy Texas places a high priority on keeping social media sites updated throughout a major event. Follow us at twitter.com/entergyTX or facebook.com/entergyTX